Scandinavian Airlines, known as SAS, is the flag carrier of Sweden, Norway and Denmark. The company accepts pets in the cabin and the hold on most of its flights. SAS follows the rules and instructions of pet transportation to ensure that your animal remains safe and healthy while traveling.
Pets are not included in the baggage allowance and the number of pets on board is limited, so you should book your pet online or contact SAS Customer Service at +442076606876 (the UK) or +1 8002212350 (the US) to confirm your travel plans. It is essential to inform the company no later than 24 hours before the flight.
After your request is confirmed, you have to fill in the form and bring to the check-in at the airport. You can find the template of the form on the Scandinavian Airlines website. Passengers traveling with pets in Denmark, Norway and Sweden do not have to fill in this form.
If your pet (dog or cat) weighs no more than 8 kg, including its container or bag, it can be taken to the passenger cabin. In this case, you should be aware of the following requirements:
· One pet carrier is allowed per passenger;
· You can take up to 2 pets in one container if they belong to the same species;
· If you take a pet with you to the cabin, you are not allowed to bring any other hand baggage;
· The maximum dimensions of the pet carrier must not exceed 40 x 25 x 23 cm;
· You can use a container or a bag suitable for pet transportation. It may be soft or rigid;
· The carrier must be firm, well-ventilated, leak-proof and bite resistant;
· It must be large enough for the pet to stand up in its natural position, lie down and turn;
· The container must be placed under the seat in front of the pet owner;
· The pet must remain in the container or bag during the flight;
· Pets are not allowed in the cabin on SAS Business and charter flights.
Remember that if you do not comply with these requirements, you may be denied permission to take your pet to the cabin.
Pets (dogs and cats) weighing more than 8 kg (including the carrier) are not allowed in the cabin but can be transported in the hold under the following requirements:
· The maximum weight of a pet must not exceed 150 kg, including its container;
· You can transport up to 2 pets weighing up to 14 kg each in one container. In this case, they must be accustomed to each other. If your 2 pets weigh more than 14 kg, they can only be transported in separate containers;
· The container must be strong, securely closed, clean and sanitized;
· It must be made of fiberglass, metal (not welded or wire mesh), hard plastic, wood or plywood with handles on the sides and a solid floor;
· The bottom of the container must be covered with waterproof material such as a layer of newspaper or sawdust but not hay or straw.
· There must be food and water containers inside;
· The container must be large enough for the pet to stand up in its natural position, lie down and turn;
· Animals are not accepted in the hold during the winter period from 1stNovember to 31st March
If the container does not comply with these requirements, you will not be able to transport your animal.
Pets that are not accepted in the cabin and the hold can be transported as cargo with Trust Forwarding. Cargo service can be also used for the transportation of the following animals:
· Other pets that dogs and cats;
· Pets that travel unaccompanied;
· Pets that travel to countries where animals are not allowed to travel in the cabin and hold. These are, for example, the UK, the US and Canada.
When you travel with SAS, you have to pay a fee for the transportation of your pet. The fees vary depending on the destination country. Here is a list of the fees for pet transportation (per way):
· Domestic flights: $60 for pets in the cabin, $100 for pets in the hold;
· Flights to Scandinavia, Europe and the Middle East: $80 for pets in the cabin, $195 for pets in the hold;
· Flights to Asia, Canada and the US: $105 for pets in the cabin, $370 for pets in the hold;
· Flights to China: $159 for pets in the cabin, $775 for pets in the hold.
If you want to bring a kitten or puppy, it must be at least 8 weeks old. For pets younger than 14 weeks old, you must also provide a veterinary certificate confirming that it can be transported by air.
Guide dogs, emotional support animals, or other guide animals such as rescue dogs travel free of charge in the cabin with SAS. One service animal is allowed per person.
Remember that different rules may apply if you use another airline during your journey.
Different countries have different conditions for importing animals too. For this reason, you need to have all the necessary information before booking a ticket. Be sure to have the proper health documents for your pet to enter and travel through your destination countries. If possible, your pet should have a microchip or tattoo, and a pet passport to travel within the EU. For further information, you can visit the “International Travel” section on our website.