Turkish Airlines is the main airline in Turkey. The company allows pets in the cabin and the baggage hold on many flights.
To transport your pet in the cabin or hold, you must make and confirm a booking no later than 6 hours before the departure time. Always book your pet in advance because there is a limit on the number of pets on board. The limitations differ depending on the aircraft type, so always request this information from the company. For reservations, you can contact one of the Call Centers. The phone number of the Turkish Airlines office in London is 0844 800 6666.
When transporting a pet, you must have a health certificate, all essential vaccination certificates with identification data and other necessary documentation. All these documents are required for checking in at the airport. You should attach the label with your first name, last name, address, telephone number, number of animals, and the name of the pet or pets to the cage or container.
Remember that pets are not included in the baggage allowance and will incur additional fees.
If you want to take a pet into the cabin with you, the total weight of the pet and its carrier must not exceed 8 kg. When you travel with a pet in the cabin, the following conditions apply:
· The maximum dimensions of the carrier must not exceed 23 cm x 30 cm x 40 cm;
· Pets must be transported in suitable hard or soft transport bags or cages, but these cannot be plastic carriers;
· The pet must be kept in the bag or container under the seat in front of the pet owner;
· Passengers traveling with pets in the cabin must not be seated in rows with emergency exit doors or infant stroller apparatus;
· It is allowed to transport up to two animals of the same species in one carrier if their total weight does not exceed 8 kg (including the carrier). Only one bag/cage is allowed per passenger in the cabin.
If there are passengers on board who are allergic to animals, pets can be accepted into the cabin under certain conditions:
1. When a passenger with an allergy claim and a passenger with a guide dog are traveling on the same flight, the request of the passenger who made the first booking will be confirmed.
2. When a passenger with an allergy claim and a passenger with a guide dog are traveling on the same flight to the United States, guide dogs always take precedence, regardless of the order in which they are booked.
3. Except for flights to the United States and rescue dogs, when a passenger with an allergy claim and a passenger with a guide dog are traveling on the same flight, the company will check who made the first booking.
When the cage with a pet exceeds the standard dimensions or weighs more than 8 kg, the pet can be transported in the baggage hold. For the pet to be comfortable and safe, the cages must be suitable for air traveling, well-ventilated and waterproof. Make sure you comply with the following requirements:
· The maximum dimensions of the cage must not exceed 75 x 75 x 125 cm. Otherwise, your pet can be only transported as cargo;
· Only hard-cased carriers are allowed in the hold;
· There must be enough space inside the cage for the pet to stand in its natural position, lie down and turn around;
· You must attach a pet information label attached to the cage;
· A maximum of three young animals from the same litter may be transported in one carrier in the hold;
· Animals of the same species, each weighing no more than 14 kg, can be transported in one carrier if they are familiar with each other. If each animal weighs more than 14 kg, it must travel in a separate cage;
· Pilots make the final decision on whether pets can be transported in the baggage hold. If the ventilation conditions in the hold are not suitable for animals, the transportation of pets will be impossible.
Additional conditions and restrictions on the transportation of animals
· Requests to travel with pets may be denied at the airport even if the booking is confirmed;
· Pregnant animals and puppies or kittens under 10 weeks of age are not allowed on Turkish Airlines flights. Puppies between 10 and 12 weeks of age may be transported with a veterinarian’s permission. A dog and up to three newborn puppies (between 10 and 24 weeks) can be transported in the hold in one cage;
· Dangerous breeds of dogs such as the American Bulldog, Bandog Tosa Inu, Caucasian Ovcharka, Dogue de Bordeaux, Doberman (Pincher Doberman and all Doberman breeds), Presa Canario, Rottweiler, Mastiff (except Bull Mastiff), Wolf Dog Mixed-Breeds, Anatolian Shepherd, Boerboel breeds and their crossbreeds are not allowed in the cabin and hold on Turkish Airlines flights. They can only be transported as cargo;
· Brachycephalic breeds of pets are not accepted in the hold because of possible health problems that might appear during the flight. Such breeds of dogs include American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, etc. Snub-nosed cat breeds are Birman, Exotic, Persian, etc. They are allowed in the cabin if their weight does not exceed 8 kg or can be transported as cargo.
Remember that if you travel abroad, you must check if you have all the documentation for your pet required in the country/countries of destination. Please be aware that some countries do not allow pets to enter, exit or transit in the cabin and the baggage hold. Pet owners usually need to provide a vaccination certificate, a pet passport or a health certificate. Turkish Airlines cannot transport pets if these documents are not provided. The documents above are also required for the transportation of service dogs. You can visit the “International Travel” section on our website to learn more about pet import rules.