top of page

Requirements for travelling to Canada with pets

Canada is a great country to travel with a pet. To obtain an entry permit, you must consider the non-commercial import regulations that apply to your country.

Mind that non-commercial import regulations only allow for the movement of animals for private purposes. The sale of animals, the transfer of ownership to third parties, the participation of animals in exhibitions or scientific research is prohibited. The owner must provide a document confirming his ownership of the animal. If the purpose of your visit to Canada with a pet is not travel, you will need to familiarize yourself with the rules for the commercial importation of animals.

To be allowed to enter Canada, your pet must:

• Have a rabies vaccination certificate in English or French. The certificate must be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian in your country. Rabies vaccination up to 3 years old is required. In addition to vaccination details, the certificate must contain information about the pet (name, sex, age, breed, color, weight, etc.). For EU Member States, a pet passport is allowed instead of a vaccination certificate;

• Young animals less than 3 months of age may be brought into Canada without rabies vaccination provided they have proof of the age of the animals;

• A microchip is NOT required to bring pets (cats or dogs) into Canada;

• Upon arrival in Canada, all pets (dogs over 8 months of age and cats) must be screened by the Canada Border Services Agency. Agency employees check the availability of the necessary documents, and also examine the animal to make sure that there are no diseases.

If an animal is found not to meet Canada's veterinary requirements during screening, it may be sent for further examination by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), for rabies vaccination or, as a last resort, sent back to the country of export. All costs in this case are covered by the owner.

For more information about the procedure for importing pets into Canada, you can contact the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) or the information on the Government of Canada website. You can also contact the CFIA with questions by calling 1-800-442-2342 or emailing

bottom of page