Requirements for travelling to Ecuador with pets
If you are planning a trip to Ecuador with a pet, make sure that it meets the health requirements of the destination country. Before leaving for Ecuador, you will need to carry out all the necessary vaccinations for your pet, as well as collect documents in accordance with the requirements of the Agency for Phytosanitary and Animal Health Regulation and Control (AGROCALIDAD).
To enter Ecuador with pets, the following conditions must be met:
• The owner must present a zoo sanitary certificate issued by the Official Veterinary Authority of the country of export no more than 10 calendar days prior to arrival in Ecuador. The certificate must be completed in Spanish or English. It should contain the personal data of the pet (breed, age, gender, color), information about vaccinations and health status;
• The pet must be at least 3 months old;
• All pets must be identified by name, tattoo or microchip;
• All pets must be vaccinated against rabies. In the case of primary vaccination, a minimum period of 14 days must elapse from the date of administration of the vaccine;
• Within 21 days prior to departure to Ecuador, the pet must be treated for external and internal parasites using a medical product approved in the country of export;
• The pet must be clinically examined by a veterinarian in the country of export within 10 days prior to departure. During the examination, the doctor must confirm that the pet has no signs of infectious diseases, parasites, and fresh wounds;
• At least 72 hours prior to arrival, the pet owner must notify the AGROCALIDAD of his arrival so that the staff is ready to inspect the pet.
In addition to the rabies vaccination, animals should have other important vaccinations.
Mandatory vaccinations for dogs: against distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis and parvovirus.
Mandatory vaccinations for cats: against feline panleukopenia, viral rhinotracheitis and calicivirus.
Animals must be transported in cages or carriers that have been washed and disinfected prior to use in accordance with International Air Transport Association (IATA) animal transport regulations.
Upon arrival in Ecuador, all pets will be examined by the AGROCALIDAD service to check the conformity of the documents and the health of the pets. The pet owner must pay a mandatory inspection fee of $26.93.