top of page

France pet travel regulations. How to enter France with a dog or a cat

If you want to visit France with your pet (dog, cat, or ferret), you will need to familiarize yourself with all mandatory entry requirements for pets and prepare for your trip.

It is allowed to import no more than five pets per person into the country. The exception is trips for the purpose of participating in exhibitions and sporting events. In this case, the animal must be at least 6 months old, and the owner must provide written confirmation of registration in such event.

To enter France, your pet must:

• Be at least three months old;

• Have an identification made with a microchip or a clearly readable tattoo (if it was applied before 07.03.2011);

• Be accompanied by a pet passport (for EU countries) or a veterinary certificate (for third countries), which must contain information about the pet's identification, vaccination, and rabies antibody titer test (if necessary);

• Have a valid rabies vaccination in accordance with international guidelines (WHO);

• Pass an antibody titer test with a minimum acceptable result of 0.5 IU/ml (only for countries with a high risk of rabies infection);

• If you are coming from a third country (outside the EU), you will also need to declare your pet for customs clearance.

For safety reasons, the following fighting dog breeds are prohibited from being imported into France: Staffordshire Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier (Pitbull), Mastiff (Boerboel) and Tosa. This ban applies to dogs of category 1 without a pedigree. In exceptional cases, it is allowed to import dogs of category 2 (Staffordshire Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier or Tosa) upon presentation of a certificate of pedigree. While moving around France, such dogs must be muzzled and kept on a leash in all public places.

The following countries are classified as low-risk countries for rabies infection: Andorra, Australia, Belarus, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Mexico, Norway, Russia, UAE, USA, etc. A complete list can be found in Annex II of Regulation (EC) No. 577/2013.

bottom of page