Requirements for travelling to Israel with pets
Are you planning a trip to Israel with a pet? In this case, pay attention to the veterinary requirements for the import of pets. It is important to comply with all requirements of the Israeli Ministry of Agriculture, Veterinary Service in order to avoid the spread of dangerous diseases among animals.
It is allowed to bring pets (dogs or cats) with you only if they have reached the age of 4 months. The exception is animals from Cyprus, Japan, the UK, and the countries of Oceania, which can be imported into Israel at the age of less than 4 months.
In order for your pet to be allowed to enter Israel, it is important to fulfill the following requirements:
• Each dog or cat must be identified with a transponder (microchip) in accordance with ISO 111784 and 111785. If the pet's microchip does not meet the above standards, its owner must provide a device for reading this microchip;
• The pet owner must obtain an import permit from the Israeli Ministry of Agriculture, Veterinary Service;
• The pet must be accompanied by a veterinary certificate that contains information about the pet's clinical examination, rabies vaccination and antibody titer test results. The certificate must be completed and signed by a licensed veterinarian in the country of export during 10 days before departure;
• All animals must be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days and no more than 12 months before travel;
• The results of a rabies antibody titer test must be provided, which the pet must have at least 30 days after vaccination. The minimum result of the test is 0.5 IU/ml. Animals from Cyprus, Japan, the UK, and the countries of Oceania are exempted from the antibody titer test.
Pets that did not have the rabies antibody titer test in their country of origin will be quarantined in Israel for further testing.
The following dog breeds are prohibited from being imported into Israel:
• American Staffordshire Terrier;
• Bull Terrier;
• Pit Bull Terrier;
• Dogo Argentino;
• Japanese Tosa;
• Brazilian Fila;
Importation of pets into Israel can only be carried out through specially equipped entry points. These include Ben Gurion Airport, Haifa Port, Ashdod Port and Eilat Port.